Update: This material has moved to the michaelsampson.net web site.
In Chapter 4 of SharePoint Roadmap for Collaboration, I outline a decision process for making governance decisions related to using SharePoint for collaboration. I think it's the right approach, but many people I speak with want more details!
The SharePoint Roadmap Governance Themes: Governing SharePoint to Enhance Business Collaboration Workbook is my answer. It gives much more detail on the different themes, and includes survey data on what other firms are doing with each theme.
The Workbook explores the following themes:
- Site Creation Rights (January 2010)
- User Adoption Strategy (March 2010)
- Site Closure Policy (due for publication in July 2010)
- Site Location Policy
- Template Standardization
- Site Collections for Collaboration
- Third-Party Product Usage
- ... and more (to be determined).
When all the themes have been finished, it is expected that the final workbook will be 200-300 pages in length.